Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Star Fish Foster Home




This morning we gave Will his first bath and then went to the Super Market and did a little shopping.




In the afternoon we went to visit Amanda and Will's nannies at the Chinese Star Fish Foster Care Home. I think this is the only place in China you can adopt "spoiled" children. Between the volunteers and the nannies, the kids get constant attention. I'm sure it still doesn't compare to having a family and being able to grow up in The States, but it really is a wonderful place. Will was a little hesitant to go back at first. When they opened the door, he stood in the doorway and waved, but wouldn't go in. Then he saw his main caretaker and went to her right away. He then started hugging all the kids and playing. He had so much fun!

I also learned today that Will is not as delayed in his language as I thought. He speaks lots of Chinese words...I just didn't know he was actually saying words. He understands in English because the volunteers speak English and the kids watch American cartoons. He also understands in Chinese because all the nannies are Chinese and Amanda spoke to him in English and Chinese. But because he was mostly around the nannies, he learned to speak from them.




I know this post was short, but I'm exhausted! Will is constantly "on the go". I'll post again tomorrow after we visit the Terracotta Warriors. Thanks for all the great comments!

4 comments:

AmyHac said...

Gracey would like you to bring home that adorable little girl too!!! Can't wait to see you guys!!

Kevin McMahan said...

Hey Mary Carol and Kyle (it's your brother Kevin),

Congratulations!

When are you coming home?

I can't wait to meet your son. We'll be home for Christmas!

I hope you have fun - in the Land of the Rising Sun!

Take Care,

Kevin

P.S. - You inspired me and Natasha to create a Blog - following Natasha's pregnancy: www.natashaandkevin.blogspot.com

Kristine Fox said...

love all the photos... does Will know any kung-fu?

*smiles*

Love you guys,
Kris

rachel garber said...

Oh my goodness! Will is looking soooo old - and little Rebecca is looking like a pretty little girl. I'm so glad you go to go and see the foster home and I'm sure Will had a good time going back to say one more goodbye to his friends! Sounds like things are going so well, I'm happy for you guys!